- Organizations must change with the times to remain successful and maintain competitive advantage.
- However, change failure rates currently are above 60%.
- To find out why, we analyzed 6000 business leader comments from 80 countries related to their experience with change management.
- Failure is caused primarily by people-related factors. Organizational change can be traumatic and resisted by those involved, and when it is, change fails.
- Leaders need aligned employees that support and trust change to stand any chance of success.
- Once Leaders recognize that change resistance causes stress (and vice-versa) and identify their specific stressors, they can be more effective in reducing it.
- Focusing Change to Win is a change manual for leaders which distills the collective wisdom of over ten thousand years of change-management experience. It outlines how questionnaires and action point checklists can be used to increase the chances of change success as leaders review, navigate and plan change.
- Above all, this book is useful and practical! It provides guidance as you move to reap the benefits of gaining competitive advantage of implementing successful change in your organization.
How do two professionals from different countries conduct global change management research and co-author a book without ever meeting?
This internet-based collaboration was borne of their shared concerns of change management’s poor track record. These concerns grew out of their common consulting experience and by the disturbing parallels they found in senior executive surveys since 1996 to present day.
Since 2011, their deepening commitment is fueled by recognizing that managing change has never been more challenging. It is their mission to engage leaders and professionals in finding better ways to implement both successful and competitively sustainable change.
They recognize the body of work in change management is extensive, if not fragmented. Their book captures a set of perspectives from 1072 leaders and consultants from 80 countries and distills logical conclusions while avoiding overly-simplistic prescriptions. The credibility of their work stems not only from their qualifications but international experience. Nick grew up and was educated in the UK where he lived in multi-cultural communities. This formed the basis for his successful consulting experience in Europe, Middle Est and USA.in UK. Kelly on the other hand grew up in Nigeria and completed his education both in the UK and Malaysia as well as his exposure in Dubai and USA. Today, Kelly lives in Abuja, the capital of Nigeria and Nick lives in Boise, Idaho’s State Capital in the USA.
This multi-national upbringing and experience has bred humility for recognizing that they do not have all the answers and has been foundational to writing “Focusing Change to Win”.
It is their strong belief is that by developing a community of critical friends, they can deepen understanding and application of more effective change management. To this end they formed New Catalyst, a change management company focusing on training, consulting and research solutions.